Wednesday, August 27, 2008

New chicken coop pics!



As promised, here are a couple pictures of the $25 coop rebuild. It's approximately 4'X 8'. I had part of the basic frame from the previous version of this coop but changed the shape a little and added more structural support. It will get painted very soon, we've been having so much rain it hasn't stayed dry long enough to get that done yet. Also, I need to reattach the door. I estimate the materials cost (if I had to buy it all new rather than use mostly recycled [clean] materials I found in the neighborhood bulk trash piles) to be in the $150 range or more, so I'm proud of my recycling savings.
P.S. I did this entirely 100% by myself.


Roxy on the nest
These 5 nest boxes are enough for 20 hens, but I'd rather have too many than not enough and this makes it less to worry about when I get more hens (the next round of chicks should be here in 3 weeks!)


Here's a photo of a Rhode Island Red looking less than excited to have her picture taken. She's my loud somewhat annoying hen. She's such a good layer though I haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of her.

1 comment:

KrisMrsBBradley said...

Wow! What a great hen house!