Monday, June 9, 2008
YUCK! A total bust. :) It was developing the pinkish slime that I was told it should have (I guess this is the 'mother'?) On top of that was green fuzzy mold, I am sure that's not a desired part of vinegar making. I tried to just take off the top layer of slime with the mold on top of it, of course some mold got into the vinegar... I thought maybe if I heated it up it would kill the mold spores? I heated it up, it stank like moldy watery apples. I put it into some bottles while I thought about what to do. The bottles looked and smelled like they were full of pee so I just threw them out and chalked it up to a learning experience. I think I'll do a little more reading up before my next attempt. If anyone has some tips about this I'm all ears.