Monday, August 6, 2007

2nd egg, new seeds

I got a second egg from Nightcrawler today. I'll spare you the goofy picture of me holding it as this egg looks exactly like the last one. I am very excited though. She had been sitting on the nest for about an hour a day the past few days, and this weekend I was so sure she was going to lay that I watched with binoculars from my room for over 30 minutes (I didn't want to bother her and keep her from laying) as she sat and bobbed her head in the nest, to no avail.

I planted some crookneck squash this week. The crookneck plants from spring all died. Wes and I both hate squash, we figure we can use it for barter or gifts. I guess it would be neat to learn to like it, but I don't see that happening. He, in fact, doesn't even know I'm giving it another go, and since he doesn't read this, it's unlikely he'll find out until it's too late!

I put in an order at heirloomseeds.com today. Here's what I'm getting:
GOLD OF BACAU BEAN - CERTIFIED ORGANIC
GOLDEN BANTAM CORN
LETHERMAN`S GREEN TOP BEET
BARTENDER RED MAMMOTH RADISH
ROMA TOMATO
RAINBOW SWISS CHARD - CERTIFIED ORGANIC


PURPLE TIGER PEPPER


EASTER EGG RADISH


The purple tiger pepper will be a good addition to the goth garden when I get that up and running. It will be a bed that grows only food that is dark purple/black or has some kind of very gothic title. I'm surprised at how many different vegetables have a "bloody butcher" variety. I'm thinking about balancing all that out with a rainbow garden, where the rainbow swiss chard and the easter egg radishes will fit in. I'll be looking out for more variegated or "rainbow" varieties.

No comments: