Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Quick random updates

The new ducks got mixed in with the chickens today, it's interesting how differently it went than when we had the khaki campbells. The muscovies were a little hesitant to come out at first, but after they did they showed the 7 younger chickens who was boss, but were still bested by the older 3 hens. By mid-afternoon, the ducks were in charge. It's a little funny to watch those older hens that were giving the younger ones a hard time for the past few weeks be on the short end of the stick. Ahh payback.

After we integrated the chickens a few weeks ago, one of our older layers stopped laying, this isn't unusual, if you stir up the world of a chicken it will often keep them from laying for about 2 weeks. Now I'm afraid that I'm going to delay her even longer. We have some new egg customers now and we need all the eggs we can get! I'm very seriously considering getting some quail. I know of someone who will be selling some baby Pharoah quail for $1 each in a couple weeks, can anyone think of a reason NOT to get them? My plan was to tractor them and eat the eggs. Possibly for meat too, but we'll have to wait and see on that.

I have done a little trading and have now planted over 20 varieties of tomatoes, 3 kinds of peppers, 2 kinds of melons and 2 kinds of cucumbers. These are all under fluorescent lights and I'm pretty sure it looks like we're growing drugs. There are currently around 100 seedlings, which means I should have 50 or so extras to sell at the farmer's market in about a month. Tomorrow I will begin planting the 4 varieties of squash and 2 kinds of okra.

Stay tuned, tomorrow I'll post about the new 'tower of bird netting' I built today as well as post some pictures.

No comments: